I almost have all the upgrade parts for my KWA M9 PTP now. I’m just waiting for the KM Stainless Hammer Strut for KSC M9 that I ordered from WGCshop.com, it should arrive next week.
The pic below is the following KWA M9 PTP upgrade parts (clockwise):
Maple Leaf (by ESD) EVOII Hop-Up Set Inner Barrel for KSC M9 GBB from eHobbyAsia
Volante Brass Piston for KSC / KWA M9 System 7 Gas Piston from WGCShop.com
RA-TECH NPAS Valve for KSC MP7A1 / System 7 Series from Airsoftparts.ca
I chrono’d the pistol while in stock form and I got readings of 388fps to 415fps using Green Gas with an ambient temperature of 72C. As of right now it looks like I will be installing the NPAS valve into the M9 as its a little hot, but I will have a better idea after I install the barrel/hopup kit and heavy piston this weekend. Since the pistol uses the System 7 gas system the NPAS valve should fit right in.
Once I get the Maple Leaf barrel/hopup kit installed this weekend I will chrono the pistol again and post the results. Then I will repeat the process once the Volante heavy piston is installed.
Stay tuned 🙂
I was browsing the different vendors sites when I came across this product from Volante Airsoft, it is their Heavy Piston for KSC M9 System 7/KWA M9 PTP. According to their website it says that the Heavy Piston “Improves recoil shock” and “Stable cycle in low temperature” which I assume means it helps cycle the pistol in colder temperatures… I hope! 🙂
The piston is packaged in a black jewelers box with faux velvet covered cut foam, interesting packaging but it gets the job done.
The Heavy Piston for KSC M9 System 7/KWA M9 PTP piston is made from CNC Brass.
I will be installing the Volante Heavy Piston in my KWA M9 PTP that I just got but only after all the other upgrade parts I have ordered arrive. I plan on taking some chrono readings before and after each upgrade as I do them… so stay tuned. 🙂
Look what arrived in the mail today :), it is the Maple Leaf 410mm x 6.03mm tight bore steel barrel I ordered from WGCShop.com!
The stock barrel in the Beta Project Tactical AK is a 407mm x 6.08mm bore brass barrel. The barrel swap was a breeze and there seems to be a bit more pep now when shooting the AK, this is probably due to a small fps increase when I installed the tighter bore barrel.
Well I think I’m pretty much done with upgrading this AK, the only things left internally that are still stock are the hopup unit, motor cage and the gearbox shell. Those may be in my future lol, but I’m pretty happy with the stock metal Cyma hopup unit so far and I will probably wait until this gearbox cracks before upgrading it 🙂
On Friday I picked up my order from Airsoft Store Canada from the Post Office, in it was the Lonex Extreme Toughness Piston and Silent Cylinder Head Sorbo Pad. I have been excited to receive these two parts and get ’em installed! 🙂
I began the install with removing the stock rubber pad from my silent cylinder head, I used a very small flat head screwdriver to pry it off.
I cleaned off any left over glue or grease from the stock rubber ring that was on the cylinder head. Once it was clean and dry I Super Glued the Sorbo pad to the cylinder head. The sorbo pad is at least twice as thick as the stock rubber pad.
I then installed my silent piston head onto the Lonex Extreme Toughness piston. As you can see from the photo the first tooth on the piston has been removed from the factory. This will help with adjusting the AOE next, I used this video to help me adjust my AOE since I’m pretty new to AEG gearboxes https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWkSjIDqUBA.
To check my AOE I partially assembled the gearbox with the spring installed. I can see that the second tooth on the piston is hitting the teeth on the sector gear. Because of the thickness of the sorbo pad it looks like I might not have to add any spacers between the piston and the piston head to fine tune the AOE.
Only part of the second tooth will need to be removed to adjust the AOE. Using my Dremel I carefully removed part of the tooth to allow clearance for the first two teeth of the sector gear.
The first two teeth on the sector gear now pass freely over the second tooth on the piston. It looks like the thickness of the sorbo pad was enough for the AOE, without adding any spacers it appears that the first sector tooth is engaging the piston at the correct angle… but what do I know this is my first time lol 🙂
I then reassembled the gun and was able to successfully fire it on semi and full. I must say that I do like the change in the sound to the gearbox that the sorbo pad has made.
Until next time!
I’m still waiting for the sorbo pad and the lonex piston to arrive that I ordered for the AK, but in the meantime the Acer Racing 16 AWG Super Worm High Temp Silicon wire arrived. 🙂 The Super Worm wire is extremely flexible with almost no memory, I got most of the wiring completed with the new high temp wire but I ran out of heat shrink so I have not put the deans connector on the battery leads to the mosfet yet. Hopefully I can pick some up today around my work in Gastown. The other wire you can see in the picture is also a high temp silicon wire being used as a trigger bypass, a 24 AWG wire for the trigger bypass is recommended by the mosfet manufacturer so I’ll see if it holds up.